For those who doesn't know, Cottage Pie is a meat pie with a crust of mashed potato (Wikipedia, 2011).
Got this recipe from internet few months ago but only tried it out recently. Super love this recipe because I’m an extreme POTATO LOVER.
This Cottage Pie is a revised version as the original one was using beef but I’m using chicken here. So the recipe is totally different for the meat cooking part. The beef is cooked with tomato paste, which I don’t really like, so I changed it to chicken, where I learned the chicken pie recipe from my previous maid.
Let’s have a look on the final product!
Super yummilicious! I can’t believe that my first trial can be so successful! I put lesser cheese and left the chicken fillings to have more gravy for the first trial.
This was my second attempt. Obviously it looked better than the first trial and more delicious because I put a lot of Parmesan cheese on top of the potato!!! And can you notice there was less gravy here? Practice makes PERFECT!
If you wanna try this out, here’s the recipe!
For mashed potato topping
3 large US Russet potatoes or 5 medium size potatoes
100ml fresh milk
1. Cook the potatoes in boiling water till until tender.
2. Mash the potatoes, add in milk and season with salt and black pepper.
3. Set aside.
For chicken fillings
300g minced chicken
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
150g mixed vegetables
some red pepper (optional)
1 tablespoon of milk powder
2 tablespoons of oyster sauce
1 tablespoon of abalone sauce or Maggi concentrated chicken stock
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a pan.
2. Saute chopped onion and garlic.
3. Add in mixed vegetables and red pepper, mix well.
4. Add in minced chicken, stir well.
5. Add water and all seasonings, cook till sauce has thickened.
To assemble Cottage pie
Parmesan cheese powder
Dried or fresh parsley flakes (But I used Italian Herbs as I couldn't find parsley in my kitchen)
1. Spoon cooked minced chicken in a baking pan or oven-safe bowl.
2. Layer the mashed potato generously on top of the mince chicken.
3. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese powder and parsley flakes on top.
4. Bake in the 180˚C pre-heated oven for approximately 25 mins, and brown the top at 200˚C until golden brown.
Love this healthy meal that melts my heart with CHEESE!